turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drs1414
Returning Member

2020 Taxes Submitted Need to correct Stimulus Amounts

I made an error when entering the stimulus amounts and have already submitted the return.  My parents rec'd $2,400 total ($1,200 each) during 2020 and rec'd $1,200 in 2021 ($600 each).  I mistakenly thought the two boxes meant enter an amount for each person of what they got during 2020 when in actuality it meant "1st stimulus" payment and "2nd stimulus" payment.  So, I entered $1,200 in the first box and $1,200 in the 2nd box which was a mistake.  So, the question is, how do I go about correcting this issue since I have already submitted the return to the irs?  

Am I correct in that I need to enter $.2,400 in the first box and $1,200 in the second box?

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you. For more information please see the  following TurboTax article:  I've already claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I review and update my 2020 tax return?

You are correct to enter $2,400 in the first box and $1,200 in the second box

Robert-1491
Returning Member

I made a mistake by saying I did not receive second stimulus check. I did receive the $600 in my direct deposit bank acct Jan 2021. I was not aware until I checked after submitting my tax form. How  do I make the change? 

@Robert-1491   the TurboTax rep in the post above yours  ( Irene ), posted links that now allow you to stop your e-file, change the stimulus amount you receive...but it must be done ASAP

But use the second link that explains the process

....use the links Robert..use the links

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Normally, you would not include money you received in Jan 2021 on your 2020 tax return, so it is completely understandable that you did not include it.   However, 2020 was anything but normal, so in your case, you do want to indicate that you did in fact receive the payment.   You can fix this if you do it today.  

If you have already received your stimulus payment and also claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return, this will trigger a review at the IRS that could delay the time it takes to process your return and for you to receive your tax refund.

We know how important these funds are and don’t want you to experience any delay in receiving your tax refund. Since the IRS has not opened yet, we would like to give you the opportunity to review and update the Recovery Rebate Credit portion of your 2020 tax return before they open on February 12th. 

If you want to review and update your 2020 return, please enter your information here by February 6, to have your 2020 tax return sent back to you.  You will then receive an email from TurboTax on February 8, letting you know that your return is available and providing you with detailed instructions on how to review, update and re-file your tax return without the Recovery Rebate Credit.    @Robert-1491

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
drs1414
Returning Member

I did as instructed per the links provided, but have yet to receive an email or call from turbotax.  I believe it said that I would hear from TurboTax by 2/8/2021.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you should have heard back by Feburary 8, 2021.  And are you certain you submitted the information by February 6, 2021?

drs1414
Returning Member

Yes, no doubt that I did it before Feb 6th.  As a matter of fact I did it once under my name and once under my parents name to be doubley sure.  It was a very short form.  I do recall that once I hit the submit button it looked like a screen w/ a lot of questions would display for about a second and then it went to away saying that I had submitted successfully.  Was it only the really short form or was there a lot of questions?  If there were a lot of info and questions required, then I never got to that screen from the initial screen for some reason.

drs1414
Returning Member

Also, in addition to my previous post, If it matters, I have not rec'd the email from the IRS stating that the return has been accepted.  Is that b/c the IRS is not accepting returns until Feb 12th?  Is there any way to intercept or undo the submission since it has not been accepted?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please check your spam folder to make sure the email isn't in there. If you still can't find the email, please contact us. The IRS e-file begins on 2/12.  

drs1414
Returning Member

Yes, I had already check the spam folder and just checked again.  Nothing.  I did call turbotax support .. all I was told was to call the IRS.  No matter what I asked, the response was call the IRS.  Anything else I can do let me know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies