turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mnnorthcarver
Returning Member

2020 Retirement contributions

If I have contributed less than the maximum allowable 2020 contribution limit in my employers 401k plan of $7K, shouldn't I be able to contribute the balance of the maximum allowable limit of $7000 into a traditional IRA and get a tax reduction? 

In turbo tax Home and Business software it  defined that I was covered by an employer 401k plan and so if I add additional IRA contributions it does not reduce the taxes owed??  Do I change the button that selects that I am covered by an employer 401k plan and just add the additional contributions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you participate in an employer retirement plan, there are income limits for being able to deduct a contribution to a Traditional IRA.  It does not matter if you contributed the maximum amount through your employer or not.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/2020-ira-contribution-and-deduction-l...

The rules are different for the 2 types of plans.  If you participate at work, regardless of your level of contribution, then you are subject to the limits on individual IRA contributions mentioned above.  If you are income-limited from participating in a personal IRA, the only way to boost your retirement savings is to maximize your contributions at work.

There is also the "back door" Roth IRA, which is more complicated than I want to get into here. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies