Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1095-A and Form 8962. How long after I fax? Please he’ll

I faxed 8962 and 1095-A 2 weeks ago on Fe26. It has said TT 152 the whole time. I called last week and they did confirm receipt of fax. How much longer until I receive a date? This is crazy. I filed my taxes like the second week of Jan. I read last years discussions on this topic but anyone have any experience this year? Please don’t tell me it’s going to take full 8 weeks. Oh, and my return did change. Thank you so much guys! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

46 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not get any information regarding your return after it has been filed.  If you want to find the status you may have some luck at your local IRS office.  This will allow you to search by zip code:  Local IRS Offices

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was basically asking if anyone in the community has experienced this this year and if they had a timeline. Thank you though

Anyone? It’s now the 13th of March and the only information I’ve recorded is that the IRS did receive the fax. Thank you guys! 

I am experiencing the SAME issue. But, I can't even get them to tell me if they received my fax.  My return only increased $18. At this point, they can keep it. Just give me my refund. I tried calling yesterday and the call volume was too high, they were not accepting any calls. Today, I called again same thing. This is so frustrating.  Keep me updated about yours. 

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

The IRS's general timetable is to get you your refund within six to eight weeks of receiving your response.  This is simply the goal; you may receive your refund earlier or later, and in this time of COVID-19, any such goal may not be realistic.

The request for Form 8962 and Form 1095-A is usually sent to taxpayers on the IRS's 12C Letter. 
According to the IRS's Understanding Your Letter 12C page,

"When we receive the requested information, we’ll use it to process your original tax return.  If you’re due a refund, we’ll send it about 6-8 weeks after we receive your response."

It's possible that, if you have a refund coming and are in dire financial circumstances, the IRS's Taxpayer Advocate Service could be of assistance.  Please see the TurboTax Help article How Can the Taxpayer Advocate Service Help Me? for information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same issue here! I filed Jan. 31st and TURBO TAX NEVER ASKED FOR THE FORM! I trusted that they were "experts" and would tell me if I was missing something. Nope. 8 weeks go by and I get a letter from the IRS stating that they needed the form. So I then went through the steps with turbo tax to fix my tax return (which was a significant amount less)  and then faxed the form to the IRS. That was 2 weeks ago and when I check on "where's my refund" it says "processing"...same thing it has said since I filed 3 months ago. And now, with Covid-19, the IRS phone lines are shut down so I am left with absolutely no answers. I called turbo tax again today because I had to delay my auto debit fee for their services (due to the fact that I have no money) and while I had a support tech on the phone I explained my situation in hopes he had some answers for me to which he replied that it sounded like a gliche in their system when they didn't prompt me to upload the form and let me file anyways. I will never use turbo tax again!!!

Hey man I want you to know I'm going through the exact same crap!!! I filed my taxes too early because turbo tax never asked if I had health insurance, get mail few days later saying I need 1095 and 8962 form, so I got the forms printed out and I sent to the IRS first class. It's been 3 or 4 weeks since I sent the forms in. And I read on their website that they're not responding to the paper mail until things get back to normal due to the covid19 bs. There job is an essential job and they should make this top priority!!! They're saying that they are trying to respect the social distancing thing??? They could still have people go into the offices and grab mail one at a time, I mean wtf dude really? People need money to survive especially right now and you're gonna tell me you won't give me my money back? I'll never use turbi tax again they are absolute garbage, they took 3 hours to help me get my account fixed and get the forms needed for the irs. So it's been nothing but a headache with turbo tax... 

Yes, I am going thru this right now. Filed tax on Jan 31st. Received a letter that I must submit 1095 and form 8962. I faxed requested forms on March 19th. I am STILL waiting for a check date. I haven’t received any thing else in the mail. No answer when I call IRS and when I try to send inquiries to same fax number it constantly rings busy. WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY CHECK 

The IRS furloughed much of their workforce due to the virus and they are now just getting back to work and trying to catch up on all the work left on hold 7 weeks ago ... it will take some time to wade thru the sea of paperwork and there is nothing you can do to speed things up ... so check the IRS site every couple of days and try to be patient.

Aluna2236

I filed March 23, then sent the 8962 and 1095A April 20. I just spoke with an IRS agent. He informed me that this is the #1 issue and the question should've been worded differently. It wasn't just Turbotax, this seemed to happen to all types of online and independent filers. He also said instead of the normal amount of daily problems with this at 15, they were getting 15,000 a day. He confirmed that my forms had been received and once the office opens next week, it's only a matter of expediting the payment which will need to give 30 days. Hope this helps others that are wondering 

I did mine online beginning of feb with turbo tax, and a day afterwards i thought hmmm wonder why they didnt

ask about my health care. Well 2 weeks later i received a letter from the irs. Tried to fix through turbo tax, but couldn't figure it out, so I went to local hr block office. they did the paper i needed and faxed it for me. Also charged me 150.00 . I thought ok it was my mistake. well that was feb 12th. Still no answers when i check on my

refund online. I tried calling irs. They aren't taking calls, then called hr block she said you have to call irs.

so 16 weeks later and still dont have a refund. I think turbo tax should take some blame for this by not having updates to make sure it was one of the questions.

@cwileman08 

Sorry you didn't post this issue before paying someone else to correct an issue TT would have done for free ... next time ask the question first ... this public forum is quick with answers.

Now ... how long will this take to resolve itself ... usually it takes 8 weeks from the time the info is faxed  HOWEVER  the IRS was effectively closed for 10 weeks and not able to process any returns that required human interaction like yours.   They have been going back to work over the last couple of weeks but they are not yet fully staffed ( rumor that will happen soon)  BUT  they have stacks of work to catch up on so you have to be patient while they try to catch up.  

As an aside ... if you had a form 1095-A in your hand and the instructions that came with the form was to enter it on your return and you failed to do so or ask for assistance in getting it entered then you have only yourself to blame.  TT had the place for it  in the interview  the entire time and many found it without issue.  In the future, ask this public forum before you file to avoid issues later.

NOW  .... you can try to call the IRS but you may not get thru ... use the phone number on the notice you received if you still have a copy.    Or you can try the general help line but be prepared to wait a LONG time....

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
    Then press 3 "for all other questions."
    Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

I did try and use turbo tax to fix my problem at first. and it said on my letter i had 2 weeks to fix the problem, then risk not being able to use the health care next year at a discount price. So when i went onto turbo tax which was the first week of february or 2nd week possibly. It stated i am sorry but you cannot ammend or fix a return

until the last week of February . So that is why i went to hr block.

lcuellar4
Returning Member

@Critter 

Turbo Tax is in the business of making tax filing easy for the common folk who only think about taxes once a year. People like myself pay for a service which alludes to providing a streamline and comprehensive solution to filing. The sense of the service is that you are following along and don't need to go out of your way to look for errors and/or UNASKED questions. I myself am in a similar predicament. No, I won't use TurboTax again and your sardonic and unempathetic response to another commenter cements that decision (even though you don't "work" for TurboTax), aid should never be delivered with cynicism. "Many found it without issue" is not appropriately apologetic on behalf of a service that promises to help ALL lay people including first time filers and/or people that didn't have their 1095-a for one reason or another. Interesting how this issue is found nearly 80% from returns submitted with TurboTax and not other softwares...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies