Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about reporting Refunds on Schedule C

When reporting a refund for a product sold on etsy on my Schedule C Tax form, I'm wondering if I'm only supposed to put the amount Etsy charged me (whether my card or my etsy account) for the refund on the Refunds line on schedule C or if I'm supposed to put the full amount that was refunded to a buyer.

For example, I refunded a buyer for a product, the total refund the customer received was $14.11. On the other hand, Etsy charged my credit card  $13.44 for the refund. Would I put $13.44 that I paid for Refunds on my Schedule C form or would I put the the $14.11, the full refund amount the customer received?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

When your client purchased the product, Etsy included the whole $14.11 as your sale, therefore you should include the whole $14.11 as a return.  

The amount that Etsy took for handling the return, can be included in the fees you are paying Etsy to manage your transactions.    

Feel free to reach back if you have any additional questions.  

Thank you for your reply! I was actually refunded $0.67 by Etsy for the processing fee. This is the breakdown:

$0.67 of your payment processing fee was refunded by Etsy.
$13.44 was charged to your MasterCard

totaling $14.11

I wanted to make sure i'd still be putting the whole $14.11 even in this instance. Thanks again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies