turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kb52
Level 1

Qualified Disaster

I have a home that was subject to a Qualified Disaster twice in 2019...I took an IRA distribution to help pay for repairs...can I get credit and how for the distribution without paying taxes on the entire amount?  How do process it within TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Qualified Disaster

@kb52 wrote:

Thanks for the information...I've done that....when I run the Federal Tax review TurboTax says it can't complete the return waiting for additional instructions from the IRS....thoughts?

If a 2019 disaster then that will require the new 8915-C or 8915-D forms that the IRS as not provided yet.    They do not exist, even as a draft form yet.  Probably because of the Corona virus shutdown.     Usually, once the IRS has a draft form it usually takes 2-3 months before the electronic form specifications are made available.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

Qualified Disaster

While taxable, a qualified disaster allows you to spread the tax over 3 years and/or be able to repay the money back to the account without penalty or any tax.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Qualified Disaster

Yes, once you enter your 1099R be sure to go all the way through the section after you enter the 1099R and answer all the questions.  

Once you see the 1099R summary keep going through the questions.  There will be questions about Qualified Disaster payments related to the 1099R.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kb52
Level 1

Qualified Disaster

Thanks for the information...I've done that....when I run the Federal Tax review TurboTax says it can't complete the return waiting for additional instructions from the IRS....thoughts?

Qualified Disaster

@kb52 wrote:

If a 2019 disaster then that will require the new 8915-C or 8915-D forms that the IRS as not provided yet.    They do not exist, even as a draft form yet.  Probably because of the Corona virus shutdown.     Usually, once the IRS has a draft form it usually takes 2-3 months before the electronic form specifications are made available.

Carl
Level 15

Qualified Disaster

can I get credit and how for the distribution without paying taxes on the entire amount?

The "correct" root answer to your question is no. A withdrawal from a traditional IRA or 401(k) is taxable income with no exceptions. Period. However, situations that allow for an early withdrawal will exempt you from paying the 10% early withdrawal penalty if otherwise applicable. But the withdrawal itself is always taxable income and it does add to your AGI in the tax year of the withdrawal.

So the penalty can be waived. But the taxability of the money is never waived.... at least it never has been yet.

Finally, whatever you spend the money on "may" qualify for a tax deduction or exemption of some type. But the withdrawal itself is taxable income as reflected on the 1099-R you received for that withdrawal.

Qualified Disaster

While taxable, a qualified disaster allows you to spread the tax over 3 years and/or be able to repay the money back to the account without penalty or any tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies