Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my HSA contributions form under deductions, it has my employer contributions (box 12) as $0 and won't let me change it, but my W2 shows they did contribute?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

On my HSA contributions form under deductions, it has my employer contributions (box 12) as $0 and won't let me change it, but my W2 shows they did contribute?

If you are referring to the screen below that is under the Deductions section which shows $0 as your employer contribution, then you did not enter your employer contribution from your W2 from box 12. Check your W2 and if your employer made contributions to your HSA it should have code W in box 12 with the amount of your employer contribution. Return to the Wages and Income section and review your entries for your W2 to update what you see on your W2 in box 12.  Once you update the information, it will show your employer contribution on this screen.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 101612.jpg

If you have a form 5498-SA that is incorrect, contact your HSA provider if you feel there is an error and request a corrected copy of your form 5498-SA. The form is sent to you for informational purposes and is not entered into TurboTax. Make sure that you go through the HSA interview under Less Common income if you received a 1099-SA to input your HSA distributions. 

For more information, please review the TurboTax help article Where do I enter form 5498-SA?

If this is not your issue, please provide us with more information.

[Edit 01/30/23| 10:02AM]

@fackler-timothy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What exactly do you mean by your "HSA contributions form under deductions"? Are you looking at an actual tax form, such as Form 8889? Or are you looking at a screen in TurboTax, such as the screen that says "Let's enter your HSA contributions" or "Your HSA Summary"?

And what do you mean by your "employer contributions (box 12)"? What is the exact description of the line that shows $0?

If you can, post a screen shot showing the incorrect employer contributions.

Does the W-2 that you got from your employer have the HSA contributions amount in box 12 with code W? Go back to where you entered your W-2 in TurboTax and make sure that the amount is entered in box 12 with code W. Try deleting the code and amount and re-entering them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies