turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vs3

Can I deduct allowance I paid to my little BBBS sister?

I have a little sister through the Big Brother Big Sister program. I know that I can deduct money spent on mileage, movie tickets, gifts I buy for her. I wanted her to learn to manage money and decide if she wants to save or buy something and have been paying her an allowance. Can I deduct the amount I paid her? I feel it is similar to me buying her a gift, but wanted to make sure.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

No, you cannot deduct money you spent on gifts for individuals.  If your sister received money from the Big Sister program that is not deductible for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
vs3

I can deduct money I spent on my little. It is written on the BBBS website. Costs of meals, movie tickets, museum admissions, mileage, etc. I just wanted to verify that allowance also applies, since I gave it directly to her.

No, you may not deduct a gift to an individual.
vs3

And nowhere does that indicate you can deduct cash gifts to an individual.
vs3

You commented that I can't deduct a gift to an individual, which I can. You obviously shouldn't answer questions here. Now you changed it to cash gifts. I will ask a CPA.

Gifts to organized charities are deductible.  Gifts of any kind to individuals are not deductible.  it is very nice that you are helping your "little sister."  But any money you are giving directly to her is not deductible.  Sorry.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies