turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does "deductions related to your foreign earned income" mean things that were deducted when I paid taxes on my income in the foreign country in which I earned it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Does "deductions related to your foreign earned income" mean things that were deducted when I paid taxes on my income in the foreign country in which I earned it?

No, the deductions related to your foreign earned income are deductions on your return that relate to your foreign earnings.  Business expenses are an example.  If you have deducted business expenses on your return and some relate to your foreign earnings, then you would need to list the portion of business expenses that relate to your foreign earnings.

Deductions to foreign earned income can include moving expenses, other business expenses, or the employer-equivalent portion of self-employment tax paid on self-employed earnings in a foreign country.

These rules apply only to items definitely related to the excluded earned income and they do not apply to the other items that are not definitely related to an particular type of gross income. These rules do not apply to items such as:
- Personal exemptions
- Qualified retirement contributions
- Alimony payments
- Charitable contributions
- Medical expenses
- Mortgage interest
- Real estate taxes on your personal residence

If you are going to deduct these expenses or other expenses you will need to make sure you allocate the portion of expenses that are related to the foreign earned income you earned.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

No, the deductions related to your foreign earned income are deductions on your return that relate to your foreign earnings.  Business expenses are an example.  If you have deducted business expenses on your return and some relate to your foreign earnings, then you would need to list the portion of business expenses that relate to your foreign earnings.

Deductions to foreign earned income can include moving expenses, other business expenses, or the employer-equivalent portion of self-employment tax paid on self-employed earnings in a foreign country.

These rules apply only to items definitely related to the excluded earned income and they do not apply to the other items that are not definitely related to an particular type of gross income. These rules do not apply to items such as:
- Personal exemptions
- Qualified retirement contributions
- Alimony payments
- Charitable contributions
- Medical expenses
- Mortgage interest
- Real estate taxes on your personal residence

If you are going to deduct these expenses or other expenses you will need to make sure you allocate the portion of expenses that are related to the foreign earned income you earned.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies