turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ybe

If I received a reimbursement from my property insurance company, is it taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

If I received a reimbursement from my property insurance company, is it taxable?

No, insurance reimbursement is not taxable.  You can, however, deduct a casualty loss on your tax return that is not covered by insurance (you must itemize and it is subject to limitations).

Once you determine your actual loss (after any insurance or other reimbursements), you must then reduce it by $100. This $100 reduction is applied to each separate casualty event, not each piece of property. For example, if your home is damaged by two separate hurricanes during the year, each hurricane is considered a separate event.

After applying the $100 reductions, your total casualty loss for the year is reduced again by an amount that equals 10 percent of your adjusted gross incomeThe net result is the deduction you can claim on your tax return.

Let's look at an example: let's say your AGI is $20,000.  10% of $20,000 = $2,000.  If your loss is $3,000 - ($500 insurance reimbursement + $100 + $2,000) = $400 the amount you can claim as a loss on Schedule A.

To enter/edit casualty and theft loss:

1. Open your return (or continue if open).

2. Type “casualty loss” or ”theft loss” (upper-case works too) in Search box (upper right-hand corner of the screen)

3. Click on “Jump to casualty loss” or “Jump to theft loss” link.

4. Answer screen interview prompts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ybe

If so, how would I report this through Turbo Tax?
TomK
Expert Alumni

Did you have a loss that they reimbursed you for?
ybe

Yes
TomK
Expert Alumni

No, insurance reimbursement is not taxable.  You can, however, deduct a casualty loss on your tax return that is not covered by insurance (you must itemize and it is subject to limitations).

Once you determine your actual loss (after any insurance or other reimbursements), you must then reduce it by $100. This $100 reduction is applied to each separate casualty event, not each piece of property. For example, if your home is damaged by two separate hurricanes during the year, each hurricane is considered a separate event.

After applying the $100 reductions, your total casualty loss for the year is reduced again by an amount that equals 10 percent of your adjusted gross incomeThe net result is the deduction you can claim on your tax return.

Let's look at an example: let's say your AGI is $20,000.  10% of $20,000 = $2,000.  If your loss is $3,000 - ($500 insurance reimbursement + $100 + $2,000) = $400 the amount you can claim as a loss on Schedule A.

To enter/edit casualty and theft loss:

1. Open your return (or continue if open).

2. Type “casualty loss” or ”theft loss” (upper-case works too) in Search box (upper right-hand corner of the screen)

3. Click on “Jump to casualty loss” or “Jump to theft loss” link.

4. Answer screen interview prompts.

ybe

Thank you very much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies