turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

new 1099k tax law

Hi-

I have a question about the new gig bill that was just passed with the covid stimulus bill. The bill states that under the stimulus bill, for the 2022 tax year going forward, more workers will receive a Form 1099-K, which shows their gross income from gig economy platforms and which companies send to the IRS. Does this mean that anything sold on ebay or any other online platform will be reported for all 2021 transactions or does it mean that the new $600 threshold will take affect for 2022 transactions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

new 1099k tax law

Under the stimulus bill, for the 2022 tax year going forward, more workers will receive a Form 1099-K, which shows their gross income from gig economy platforms and which companies send to the IRS. The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2021. The H.R.1319 - American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 - Section 9674.

The law and IRS guidance previously only required companies to send many workers these forms if the individuals earned more than $20,000 in income over more than 200 transactions, which is a high bar for the average person with a part-time side gig. The new law requires companies to send workers those forms if they earn more than $600, regardless of the number of transactions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

new 1099k tax law

Under the stimulus bill, for the 2022 tax year going forward, more workers will receive a Form 1099-K, which shows their gross income from gig economy platforms and which companies send to the IRS. The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2021. The H.R.1319 - American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 - Section 9674.

The law and IRS guidance previously only required companies to send many workers these forms if the individuals earned more than $20,000 in income over more than 200 transactions, which is a high bar for the average person with a part-time side gig. The new law requires companies to send workers those forms if they earn more than $600, regardless of the number of transactions.

new 1099k tax law

Thank you for that clarification! Much appreciated.

mankeyb

new 1099k tax law

Hi,

I will receive a 1099K for selling extra tickets for sporting events. How do I report this? I paid more for the tickets from the sports team than I received, so I had a loss. 

Thx, [PII Removed]

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

new 1099k tax law

If you are not in the business of buying and reselling tickets to sporting events then your loss is a personal loss and not deductible.

If you are in the business of buying and reselling tickets you will enter the income reported on Form 1099-K for selling extra tickets for sporting events as self-employment income in Schedule C Profit or Loss from Business. Follow these steps to enter your Form 1099-K information:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Search for Schedule C and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer the questions about your business.
  4. On the screen Let's enter the income for your work, select Other self-employed income.
  5. If you’re returning to Schedule C, select Review or Edit next to your work and then answer the questions about your business.
  6. On the screen Tell us about other self-employed income, enter your 1099-K info.
  7. Select Continue when finished.

If you are entering income from a 1099-K, remember that it reports the gross amount of the transactions. It doesn't include any adjustments for credits, refunds, discounts, or fees. You’ll have a chance to enter self-employment expenses in another part of your return. 

This link How do I enter a 1099-K in TurboTax Online? has information that you may find helpful.     

@mankeyb

new 1099k tax law

What to do if I have my 1099 form but already file

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

new 1099k tax law

It depends on whether you already reported your income @Stephen3031. Sometimes amounts on Form 1099-K are double reported on other tax forms, including Form 1099-NEC or you may have reported the amounts as credit card payments.

If you've reported all the income, you do not have to do anything.

If some or all of Form 1099-K is additional income, then you will have to amend your return. The TurboTax amend function will be available later this month.

Go to How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. If you do not see instructions for 2021, it means 2021 amend is not ready yet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies