need advice

saleen118

need advice

me and parents have turbo tax i do their taxes.my question-i had a drunk driver hit me headon at 65mph i have been living on the settlement money so i have no income settlement is tax free.can i still file on turbo tax and claim my 17 year old daughter she is in high school?

npierson7

need advice

You can do it, however you need to show if have income to support yourself and your dependent. You could receive refundable part of tax credit for other dependent, however Earned Income tax credit will be disallowed. 

saleen118

need advice

so i can show settlement paperwork on amount of money$?i have turbo tax right now on laptop just not sure if i can file to claim her?my settlement is tax free.should i go ahead and file with turbo tax?i already did my parents taxes on it not sure if i can file non taxable income and claim her she is 17 and in high school

ColeenD3

need advice

No, nontaxable income will just show zeros on the firm. Doesn't the money itself earn interest?

saleen118

need advice

Settlement paid out in full around 34,000.00 i walked away from head on collision police said i was very lucky.drunk driver died on impack.so on turbo taxe no w2s no unemployment,just put 0s where it says income???

Cynthiad66

need advice

Are you filing for the Stimulus payment?  Yes then just leave the income section blank and work your way to the Recovery Rebate Credit to claim the missed credits for yourself and your daughter.

There is no need to file a tax return if you do not have any taxable income.

Returns can't be e-filed if they:

Many nonresident and part-year state returns cannot be e-filed either, due to circumstances beyond our control (we'll let you know if your non- or part-year resident return must be paper-filed).