turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NC Unclaimed Property sent us net proceeds from sale of stock which had been my late grandfather's. Is this still taxable income? We received no tax forms.

My grandparent's estate was settled/closed in 2017. In 2018, NC Department of State Treasurer, Unclaimed Property, sent us net proceeds from the sale of stock which was my late grandfather's. I don't believe the stock exists anymore so there was no option to re-register or reinstate. We were not sent a 1099-B (or any other sort of tax form). Is this still taxable income? If so, how/where do we report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

NC Unclaimed Property sent us net proceeds from sale of stock which had been my late grandfather's. Is this still taxable income? We received no tax forms.

Yes, this income is taxable.  To report it:

• Click on your Federal Taxes tab and then the Wages & Income tab in that section.
  • Scroll all the way down to the section called Less Common Income.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income at the bottom of the list, and then
  • Choose Other Reportable Income at the bottom of that section.
  • You'll be prompted to enter a description and an amount.  You can name it "unclaimed property"
  • TurboTax will calculate any applicable taxes for you.
  • Click Continue when you are finished.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I have since discovered that the stock does still exist although my grandfather’s shares have been liquidated. if we have now been able to determine approximate value per share based on date/week of my grandfathers passing, should this be filed as sale of stock instead of miscellaneous income? if so what further information might we need to gather from unclaimed property of NC? Number of shares sold? Date sold?
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Yes, this income is taxable.  To report it:

• Click on your Federal Taxes tab and then the Wages & Income tab in that section.
  • Scroll all the way down to the section called Less Common Income.
  • Choose Miscellaneous Income at the bottom of the list, and then
  • Choose Other Reportable Income at the bottom of that section.
  • You'll be prompted to enter a description and an amount.  You can name it "unclaimed property"
  • TurboTax will calculate any applicable taxes for you.
  • Click Continue when you are finished.

I have since discovered that the stock does still exist although my grandfather’s shares have been liquidated. if we have now been able to determine approximate value per share based on date/week of my grandfathers passing, should this be filed as sale of stock instead of miscellaneous income? if so what further information might we need to gather from unclaimed property of NC? Number of shares sold? Date sold?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies