Solved: My wife and I are missionaries for a ministry and pay for our travel, our food, and any expenses. How do we deduct those expenses?

rogaljb

My wife and I are missionaries for a ministry and pay for our travel, our food, and any expenses. How do we deduct those expenses?

We serve a missions ministry, but pay all our expenses; air fare, local travel, food, accommodations if needed. besides gifts we take, and money we spend while there. How can we deduct these cost? Do we just deduct them as a donation to the organization?

Vanessa

Yes, if the organization is a qualified charitable organization and you are itemizing your return then you would deduct them as a donation to the organization if you are itemizing your return.

If you are itemizing your return you will enter these miles by clicking in TurboTax Online

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • See All Tax Breaks
  • Show More Next to Charitable Donations
  • Start next to Donations to Charity in 2018
  • Add next to Mileage and Travel Expenses
  • Enter your miles and travel expenses including lodging and meal expenses

If they are not a qualified organization or you are not taking the itemized deductions then they would not be deductible for your federal, however, a few states still allow the deduction. 

KarenJ

Do you receive any income from your church?

Are you paid by 1099-MISC or by W-2?  Do you receive a non-taxable housing allowance?
rogaljb

It is all voluntary. We do not receive anything from the ministry.
Vanessa

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • See All Tax Breaks

rogaljb

I am itemizing; and when I went into Charitable Donations, under travel I could not find anything for airfare, just mileage.
Vanessa

There should be a blank box that allows you to enter a description and amount.  Enter Airfare and then the cost.

Out of pocket costs that you pay to give service to a charity are listed as if they were money deductions to the charity.  
rogaljb

Thank You VanessalA, and Opus 17!