turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rogaljb
Returning Member

My wife and I are missionaries for a ministry and pay for our travel, our food, and any expenses. How do we deduct those expenses?

We serve a missions ministry, but pay all our expenses; air fare, local travel, food, accommodations if needed. besides gifts we take, and money we spend while there. How can we deduct these cost? Do we just deduct them as a donation to the organization?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I are missionaries for a ministry and pay for our travel, our food, and any expenses. How do we deduct those expenses?

Yes, if the organization is a qualified charitable organization and you are itemizing your return then you would deduct them as a donation to the organization if you are itemizing your return.

If you are itemizing your return you will enter these miles by clicking in TurboTax Online

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • See All Tax Breaks
  • Show More Next to Charitable Donations
  • Start next to Donations to Charity in 2018
  • Add next to Mileage and Travel Expenses
  • Enter your miles and travel expenses including lodging and meal expenses

If they are not a qualified organization or you are not taking the itemized deductions then they would not be deductible for your federal, however, a few states still allow the deduction. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Do you receive any income from your church?

Are you paid by 1099-MISC or by W-2?  Do you receive a non-taxable housing allowance?
rogaljb
Returning Member

It is all voluntary. We do not receive anything from the ministry.

Yes, if the organization is a qualified charitable organization and you are itemizing your return then you would deduct them as a donation to the organization if you are itemizing your return.

If you are itemizing your return you will enter these miles by clicking in TurboTax Online

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • See All Tax Breaks
  • Show More Next to Charitable Donations
  • Start next to Donations to Charity in 2018
  • Add next to Mileage and Travel Expenses
  • Enter your miles and travel expenses including lodging and meal expenses

If they are not a qualified organization or you are not taking the itemized deductions then they would not be deductible for your federal, however, a few states still allow the deduction. 

rogaljb
Returning Member

I am itemizing; and when I went into Charitable Donations, under travel I could not find anything for airfare, just mileage.

There should be a blank box that allows you to enter a description and amount.  Enter Airfare and then the cost.

Out of pocket costs that you pay to give service to a charity are listed as if they were money deductions to the charity.  
rogaljb
Returning Member

Thank You VanessalA, and Opus 17!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies