tdtree

My mother passed away in 2015 sold her house in 2016 split proceeds with siblings did not receive a 1099 only a Form 1041. Do I have to claim the money I received from the house being sold? I can't remember the exact amount I received from the sale.

Phillip1

If the sale was included in the Form 1041 (the sale should be reported on that return) there would have been a K-1 that should have been (or will be) provided to you. This will report your taxable income from the sale of the home on Schedule K-1 (Form 1041).

If the sale (for some reason) is not being reported through Form 1041, you would need to report your portion of the gain. The gain is the total sales proceeds minus the inherited cost basis (the fair market value on the date of your mother's death) divided by your share. For example, a home inherited by 4 siblings for 100,000 dollars in sales proceeds and a 90,000 dollars in inherited cost basis, would have taxable income of 2,500 dollars for each sibling. (100k-90k/4=2.5k)

Phillip1