turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is a volunteer for the EMS in town and receives a 1099misc at the end of the year for a stipend he gets where do I add this, it is not a business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL

My husband is a volunteer for the EMS in town and receives a 1099misc at the end of the year for a stipend he gets where do I add this, it is not a business?

Generally, payments of this nature - to emergency services volunteers - are modest amounts intended to offset the expenses they incur as a consequence of volunteering (e.g. lost wages, travel costs, out-of-pocket equipment and training). 

If that is the case, you can enter an offsetting expense to reduce or eliminate any income from the 1099-MISC. If it is actually a form of pay (compensation), do not enter any "expense" amount.

To report the 1099-MISC income:

• Enter the 1099-Misc in the Other Common Income section (Enter "1099misc" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to 1099misc")
  • Indicate that it is a "EMS Volunteer Svcs", that it does not involve work like your main job, and that it did not involve an intent to make money, and is not a recurring payment (received in the past or expected in the future). 
  • The income will be reported on line 21 of your return.

To enter the expense:

• Go to Less Common Income, Miscellaneous Income and Other reportable income (enter "other reportable income" in the Search Box and Select "Jump to other reportable income")
  • Continue to the screen "Other Taxable Income". Enter the description as "EMS Volunteer Exp" and the amount as a negative number. These are NOT wages.

A corresponding negative amount will be entered, and line 21 will be zero. See the attached screenshot example (different descriptions, but still offsetting).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies