Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ex is wanting our childs social security number for the child support she pays. Does she really need the ss#

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

My ex is wanting our childs social security number for the child support she pays. Does she really need the ss#

Child support is not a deductible expense, so it doesn’t wind up on the tax return. If you are the custodial parent, and claim your children as dependents, then you need to include their Social Security numbers on your tax return. The noncustodial parent who is not claiming the children does not need to include their names or Social Security numbers on their return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Child support is not a deductible expense, so it doesn’t wind up on the tax return. If you are the custodial parent, and claim your children as dependents, then you need to include their Social Security numbers on your tax return. The noncustodial parent who is not claiming the children does not need to include their names or Social Security numbers on their return.

SPIDER33

THIS IS ABOUT THE QUESTION ABOUT A NON-CUSTODIAL PARENT COULD NEED A CHILDS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. NOT ONLY IS THE POSTED ANSWER WRONG it's GIVING ILLEGAL ASDVICE THATS COULD GIVE THE OTHER PARENT FULL PRIMARY CUSTODY JUST LIKE SHORTENING VISITS to SUDDEN DOCTORS APPOINTMENTS SO CAN claim a CHILD FIRST EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE NO DECREE IN DIVORCE DEFENCHIATING THE CIRCUMSTANCES TO TAXES BETWEEN THE TWO PARENTS MORE SO WHEN JOIN T PHYSICAL CUSTODY COME IN TO PLAY JOINT LEGAL CUSTODY HAS EVEN MORE SAYSO FOR THAT PARENT IS LEGALLY  RESPONSIBLE IN THERE CARE FOR DOCTORS IF THE PARENT WAS DISABLED CHILD ON HIS INSURANCE POLICY MEDICARE GOES BY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS SO BUT BY LAW IF THE OTHER PARENT GETS UNSUPERVISED VISITS  THEN YOU MUST GIVE IT TO THEM UNLESS ITS COURT ORDERED  YOU CAN GET IT A divorce like mine is but see the other parent could be withholding derivative payments from support and the disabled parent needs the numbers for audits upon the account that's all I'm saying 

@SPIDER33 Not sure why you are posting to such an old thread which has had no activity for a number of years, or what you information you are trying to impart.   When there are two parents who share custody--whether they are divorced or never married----the IRS cares about who the child lives with.    Entering a child on a tax return requires entry of the child's Social Security number or the child's ITIN.

Are you the custodial parent?  Do you have an agreement with the other parent to allow the other parent to claim them--due to divorce or that you live apart and share custody?  Did one of you sign a Form 8332?

If there is a signed 8332 then the custodial parent retains the right to file as Head of Household, get earned income credit and the childcare credit.  The non-custodial parent gets the child tax credit for children under the age of 17.

As far as the IRS is concerned, the custodial parent is the one with whom the child spent the most nights during the tax year--at least 183 nights.

If you are a non-married couple who live together then only one of you can claim the child(ren) and the one not claiming the child does not enter anything at all on their tax return about the child. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

If the custodial parent has signed an IRS Form 8832 giving the non-custodial parent the right to claim the child for 1 or more tax yeas, then that non-custodial parent needs the SSN for their tax return, and you are legally obligated to provide it.

In the state of NY you can get a non custodial parent tax credit but you do need the childs SSN I would like to know if there is a way to get the info when the custodial parent refuses to give it

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Your child's social security number is on any of the past tax returns that you filed where the child was listed as a dependent.  If you are divorced or have a legal custody agreement with the custodial parent then the attorneys who handled that would also have a copy of the child's social security number.

If none of that works then you would have to go to the social security administration.  Contact them here and then tell them what is going on.  They will be able to tell you what documentation they will require in order to provide you with your child's social security number.  

@Speeddemon81 

Carl
Level 15

The non-custodial parent does not need the dependent's SSN for child support, as that is not a deductible expense on the federal tax return. HOWEVER, there could be other legal reasons they would need it, and the custodial parent could run in to legal issues (not only with the IRS) if they don't provide it. So you need to ask why they need the SSN. If they have a legal need (such as on a state tax return) then you are legally obligated and required to provide it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies