Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter turned 24 on 12/11/2017 can i still claim her for earned income credit if she was full time student had no income and i supported her 100%

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

My daughter turned 24 on 12/11/2017 can i still claim her for earned income credit if she was full time student had no income and i supported her 100%

No.  The rules are clear that your child must be under 24 on December 31st, and a full time student.  See the rules below which are also used for the earned income tax credit. She would qualify as a "qualifying relative" dependent. Click the screenshots attached to enlarge and view.

The rules for a qualifying child are show here

Relationship

• Your son, daughter, adopted child1, stepchild, foster child2 or a descendent of any of them such as your grandchild
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, step brother, step sister or a descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew

• At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) and younger than 19
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) younger than 24 and a full-time student
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was any age and permanently and totally disabled3

Residency

• Child must live with you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) in the United States4 for more than half of the year

Joint Return (not applicable for small children since they would not be married)

• The child cannot file a joint return for the tax year unless the child and the child's spouse did not have a separate filing requirement and filed the joint return only to claim a refund.

For additional information you can click the link here:  EITC - IRS Q&A

Your daughter may still be your qualifying relative to claim as a dependent for the $4050 personal exemption on your return if she had no income in 2017 and you supported her--but you cannot get EIC for her.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Did she have any scholarships or grants?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies