Admo2Pearl

Multiple Homes

I own a home in Washington DC and rent a home in San Antonio, TX, where I work full-time. Are my rental expenses deductible on my federal return?

Multiple Homes

No.

RENT

There is not a rent deduction or credit on your Federal return.  If your state has anything for renters you will be prompted to enter your rent info when you complete your state return.  As far as I know, the states that have anything for rent are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington DC, and Wisconsin.

https://www.rent.com/blog/states-with-a-renters-tax-credit/

ToddL99

Multiple Homes

No, the cost to rent a personal residence is not deductible. It doesn't make any difference if you own a home elsewhere, either in the same state or another state.

The IRS won't let you deduct rent for your personal residence. 

A handful of states have some type of renter's tax credit for a personal residence or apartment. Texas does not have a renter's tax credit (or a state income tax).

Multiple Homes

No.

RENT