Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage points are not transferring to Schedule A

I think this might be a bug introduced in the most recent update as it seemed to be working as expected prior to that update.  I purchased a home in 2022 and paid about 5k in points.  They are reported on a 1098 and I can see them in the worksheet as deductible and "easy step" screens are showing the interest + points.  However, on the schedule A, it is only including the interest and not the points.  This matters because with the points I am above the standard deduction, but without I am below.  The only other complication to this is the mortgage was sold so I have two 1098s. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
air3
Level 1

As another data point, I'm seeing the same thing.

I purchased  a home in October 2022 payed $3720 in mortage points. The loan was then sold to another company about a week later.

In all, I received two 1098s:

• The one from the company who I received the loan from. The 1098 here shows the $3720 mortage points in Box 6 as I would expect.
  • The second from the new mortage company. This 1098 doesn't show the mortgage points.

I entered both of these according to the instructions and, despite the totals in the summary page reflecting the correct interest, points, and property taxes, the final review does not account for the mortgage points.

I suspect this has to do with the "Is this 1098 the most recent for your loan?" option as if I select it as "Yes" for the first 1098 (which is technically incorrect) it will correctly apply the mortage points.

This is good info.  Your situation is very similar to mine.  I had tried a few combinations to get it to populate, but, as you describe, if I mark the 1st 1098 as the most recent and the 2nd as the oldest (basically the reverse order of what is actually correct), it correctly includes the points on Schedule A.

I am having the same problem. Will TurboTax please notify us when this is fixed?

Same problem here! If I input the points on the most recent 1098 (instead of the original loan's 1098), the points are properly applied to my deduction. 

SantinoD
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@derek1g 

air3
Level 1

@SantinoD, sure, here's my token number: 1083190

In order to see the behavior please do the following:

1. Navigate to Deductions & Credits
  2. Click into Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098)
  3. You'll see two 1098 listed, one with the mortgage points and one without. The one with the points was the first 1098 issued, the other one is the second 1098 that was received after the mortgage was sold to another company.
  4. Despite the numbers on this page showing properly, they are not actually being applied to the deductions. 

As mentioned in the earlier comments, I suspect that the issue is tied to a bug with the "Is this 1098 the most recent for your loan?" option. If I select the 1098 with the points and mark it as the most recent (despite it actually being the oldest), then the points are applied properly.

My token number is 1084299. 

egmiranda

I have the exact issue with Turbotax Premier version. I wish turbotax is listening and looking into this issue (bug) and will soon have a resolution to this issue.

riverview

I am having the same problem as the writer below - just my numbers are different.

As another data point, I'm seeing the same thing.

I purchased  a home in October 2022 payed $3720 in mortgage points. The loan was then sold to another company about a week later.

In all, I received two 1098s:

• The one from the company who I received the loan from. The 1098 here shows the $3720 mortgage points in Box 6 as I would expect.
  • The second from the new mortgage company. This 1098 doesn't show the mortgage points.

I entered both of these according to the instructions and, despite the totals in the summary page reflecting the correct interest, points, and property taxes, the final review does not account for the mortgage points.

I suspect this has to do with the "Is this 1098 the most recent for your loan?" option as if I select it as "Yes" for the first 1098 (which is technically incorrect) it will correctly apply the mortage points.

@air3 @derek1g @dwheels @egmiranda @riverview   I wanted to let you all know that it looks like this has been fixed with one of the recent updates.  Frustrating it took so long and even more frustrating there isn't a better bug reporting process than posting something in a community forum and hoping for the best!

I still see exact same problem in Turbo Tax Home and Business desktop version for Windows. Exact same scenario as reported by @air3. Please help fix the issue or suggest a solution.

I have sent the tax file to an agent. My token number is 1094149

BAC5

I’m still having this same issue. I agree it has to do with selecting which 1098 is most recent.

I have the exact same problem with the same software, and Intuit has still not fixed this.

Can we expect a corrected update soon?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies