Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Mortgage Interest adjustment Calculation. How to calculate the Mortgage Interest adjustment in California if the mortgage is over 750,000

@randsom If you had an Original Mortgage and a Refi with home debt over 750K, you may be able to make one entry to prevent mortgage interest limitation.

If this applies, it should resolve your California mortgage interest issue. 

Click this link for more info on Workaround for Limited Home Mortgage Interest

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mortgage Interest adjustment Calculation. How to calculate the Mortgage Interest adjustment in California if the mortgage is over 750,000

My 2020 refinance replaced a $299k loan with a $297k loan.  Well below the fed $750k and Ca. $1mil threasholds.  For whatever reason TT auto filled a $-1850 for my California adjustment figure.  It is my understanding that because I'm below the thresholds, this figure should be $0 or a positive correct?   

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. Try combining both 1098's and report $299,000 in box 1 while combining mortgage interest, property taxes, points etc. See if that will remove the adjustment amount in your Ca adjustment figure. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just ended up removing the negative number and put a $0 in the mortgage adjustment area in my California return.  It's too confusing to try and "play" with the two 1098's to make it work.  TT should be easier, not harder than paying a live preparer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies