turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mike14586

Mortage interest state or federal?

can I claim mortgage interest on state and federal, or just one or the other?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnR1

You generally only claim an itemized deduction for mortgage interest paid on your principal residence (and a second home) on Schedule A of your federal income tax return, on Line 10 if reported to you on Form 1098, or on Line 11 if not reported to you on Form 1098.  Most state returns do not include a similar deduction for home mortgage interest.  

The tax systems are separate and distinct - federal under the IRS, and state, under the respective state's department of revenue - it is possible that your state allows for a home mortgage interest deduction on the state return, even though the IRS permits such a deduction on Form 1040 Schedule A.  

TurboTax automatically transfers data from your federal return, which you entered in the Federal Taxes section.

You should always try to ensure that you enter your data, and answer the program interview questions as accurately as you can, so the information flows accurately into TurboTax State.

Please note though, as mentioned above, that each state has its own rules with respect to taxation of income and allowable deductions and credits. 

Kansas allows you to take mortgage interest  if you itemize on state even though on federal you took standard. I have entered the mortgage interest  in the federal  and its NOT transferring to Kansas State schedule .  I even tried to enter it on in the form  window  Kansas schedule A to fill it in and it will NOT allow to enter.  I think this is a turbo Tax  program problem.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

I opened up my Kansas and went to sch A and saw mortgage interest carried from Sch A line 8a. The KS program requires you go to the federal Sch A and enter the mortgage interest there for it to carry.

The state shows the mortgage interest here but does not want an entry there. It can be overridden but you don't want to do that.

When you go to the federal sch A,, line 8a, select the box and you will see a magnifying glass. Select the magnifying glass. This will take you to the correct entry location.

Be sure the federal sch A worksheet is filled out

If everything is filled out correctly and not flowing to the state, you will want to delete the worksheet, close your program, update it, then enter the worksheet again.

@iamgary2day 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you as I had to go back to go back to the federals schedule A and fill in the  mortgage  original date   verses  the refinance date.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies