• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guy1001

Medical Deductions

We replaced the carpet in our home with hardwood floors in 2020. My spouse is disabled (MS) and uses a cane at this point but planning for the possibility in the future for the need of a wheelchair. Is the cost of the floors deductible as a medical expense?

Thanks for your help.

Guy

6 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Medical Deductions

If you don't itemize then the expense would not have an impact on your tax and if you do itemize you may deduct only the amount of your total medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income.  So that in itself may answer your question.

To claim the medical expenses deduction, you must itemize your deductions. Itemizing requires that you not take the standard deduction, so you should only claim the medical expenses deduction if your itemized deductions are greater than your standard deduction (TurboTax will do this calculation for you).

If you elect to itemize, you must use IRS Form 1040 to file your taxes and attach Schedule A.

• On Schedule A, report the total medical expenses you paid during the year on line 1 and your adjusted gross income (from your Form 1040) on line 2.
  • Enter 7.5% of your adjusted gross income on line 3.
  • Enter the difference between your expenses and 7.5% of your adjusted gross income on line 4.
  • The resulting amount on line 4 will be subtracted from your adjusted gross income to reduce your taxable income for the year.
  • If this amount, plus any other itemized deductions you claim, is less than your standard deduction, you should not itemize.

Improvements that qualify as medical expenses-

Improvements to your home can also be deducted from your income as medical expenses if they are medically necessary.

The cost of installing entrance or exit ramps, modifying bathrooms, lowering cabinets, widening doors and hallways and adding handrails, among others, are home improvements that can be deducted as medical expenses. But the deduction amounts must be reasonable, given their medical purpose, and expenses incurred for aesthetic or architectural reasons cannot be deducted.

In other words, making a residence wheelchair accessible qualifies, but adding a sculpture garden does not.

Additionally, any amounts spent for these improvements that increase the value of your home cannot be claimed as a medical related expense.

rich1pete
Returning Member

Medical Deductions

My bill for my surgery was$3,220.00, my insurance paid $2414.35 an I paid $30.00 out of pocket.  which amount do I enter in Medical deductions?

DoninGA
Level 15

Medical Deductions

@rich1pete wrote:

My bill for my surgery was$3,220.00, my insurance paid $2414.35 an I paid $30.00 out of pocket.  which amount do I enter in Medical deductions?

You enter $30 for the medical expense.

kdianed

Medical Deductions

If a person is handicapped and needs a handicapped bathroom, is it deductible somewhere on itemized deductions?

Critter-3
Level 15

Medical Deductions

To claim the medical expenses deduction, you must itemize your deductions. Itemizing requires that you not take the standard deduction, so you should only claim the medical expenses deduction if your itemized deductions are greater than your standard deduction (TurboTax will do this calculation for you).

If you elect to itemize, you must use IRS Form 1040 to file your taxes and attach Schedule A.

• On Schedule A, report the total medical expenses you paid during the year on line 1 and your adjusted gross income (from your Form 1040) on line 2.
  • Enter 7.5% of your adjusted gross income on line 3.
  • Enter the difference between your expenses and 7.5% of your adjusted gross income on line 4.
  • The resulting amount on line 4 will be subtracted from your adjusted gross income to reduce your taxable income for the year.
  • If this amount, plus any other itemized deductions you claim, is less than your standard deduction, you should not itemize.

Improvements that qualify as medical expenses-

Improvements to your home can also be deducted from your income as medical expenses if they are medically necessary.

The cost of installing entrance or exit ramps, modifying bathrooms, lowering cabinets, widening doors and hallways and adding handrails, among others, are home improvements that can be deducted as medical expenses. But the deduction amounts must be reasonable, given their medical purpose, and expenses incurred for aesthetic or architectural reasons cannot be deducted.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Medical Deductions

The following is an excerpt from IRS Publication 502 -- Medical Expenses, under the Capital Expenses section:

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for special equipment installed in a home, or for improvements, if their main purpose is medical care for you, your spouse, or your dependent. The cost of permanent improvements that increase the value of your property may be partly included as a medical expense. The cost of the improvement is reduced by the increase in the value of your property. The difference is a medical expense. If the value of your property isn't increased by the improvement, the entire cost is included as a medical expense.

Certain improvements made to accommodate a home to your disabled condition, or that of your spouse or your dependents who live with you, don't usually increase the value of the home and the cost can be included in full as medical expenses. These improvements include, but aren't limited to, the following items.

• Constructing entrance or exit ramps for your home.

• Widening doorways at entrances or exits to your home.

• Widening or otherwise modifying hallways and interior doorways.

• Installing railings, support bars, or other modifications to bathrooms.

• Lowering or modifying kitchen cabinets and equipment.

• Moving or modifying electrical outlets and fixtures.

• Installing porch lifts and other forms of lifts (but elevators generally add value to the house).

• Modifying fire alarms, smoke detectors, and other warning systems.

• Modifying stairways.

• Adding handrails or grab bars anywhere (whether or not in bathrooms).

• Modifying hardware on doors.

• Modifying areas in front of entrance and exit doorways.

• Grading the ground to provide access to the residence.

Only reasonable costs to accommodate a home to your disabled condition are considered medical care. Additional costs for personal motives, such as for architectural or aesthetic reasons, aren't medical expenses.

The expenses that you incurred for making the bathroom handicap accessible would be included as a medical expense on your tax return.  

@kdianed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v