turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I am working in US and my wife and my son are living in Toronto, Canada. How should I file for taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Hi, I am working in US and my wife and my son are living in Toronto, Canada. How should I file for taxes?

What date did you arrive in the US?

Last Nov 2018 and started working from that time.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you only arrived in the US in November 2018, you did not pass the substantial presence test (listed below) which is how the IRS calculated whether someone is a US tax resident or  a US tax nonresident (different from immigration residency rules).

You were not in the US for 183 days or more in 2018, so you are considered a nonresident for 2018 and must file a US nonresident tax return.

TurboTax does not support nonresident returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

You will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
  • All the days you were present in the current year, and
  • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
  • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies