Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a mechanic I have individual receipts for every tool I have purchased to do my job the asset page doesn't apply to most of them. the expenses doesn't give a category for tools even though i put the proper term for my job title which is Automotive Tec

How to I list out everything individually for my tool expenditures?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I am a mechanic I have individual receipts for every tool I have purchased to do my job the asset page doesn't apply to most of them. the expenses doesn't give a category for tools even though i put the proper term for my job title which is Automotive Tec

Just total them up, enter in the other deductions and call it Tools.

Where can I find the "other deductions" section?

Are you filling out a Schedule C or Form 206?

Where is the other deductions section?

I haven't the slightest. Basically I am employed by an Automotive repair facility. However to perform my job I am require to purchase my own tools. In 2016 I spent over $2016.56 on one tool truck and a lot on another. I only made $25000 last year and spent a decent percentage just to be able to perform my job

In order to claim this expense, you have to first itemize deductions. At your level of income, I would guess you are claiming the standard deduction. If you do itemize, the tools are employee business expenses and only deductible to the extent they exceed 2% of your income.
But I think your standard deduction will be higher than itemized and you should use the standard deduction.

On the one tool truck alone my expenses were 12% of my income so I am still lost

Just use the standard deduction. You do not have enough expenses to claim itemized deductions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies