Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bywater

joint filers Entering advance child tax credit

How do we enter the child tax credit for a married couple filing joint? We received $1500 for our 1 child but if I enter $1500 under each of our names like it asks us to do it deducts $3,000 from our return and says we got the whole credit . We only received a total of $1500 in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

38 Replies

Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

The IRS is sending out letter 6419 to you.  It will show the amount of advance child tax credit that you received during 2021.  Enter the information from that letter carefully.   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

NOTE:   The CTC is indeed a “credit” that can be applied toward any tax liability that you would otherwise have to pay as “tax due”  to the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

That did not answer the question. I would like to know as well.

i would like to know the same thing, i am married filing joint and i have 2 kids. i got the letters from the irs and it said that my husband got $1500 and i got $1500. i entered that information directly from the letters and its saying i am only getting that back. and no other CTC.  why is that??

You have two children.   Between you and your spouse you received $3000 between July and December.  And the other half is $3000.   Why do you think that is not correct?

Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

The IRS is sending out letter 6419 to you.  It will show the amount of advance child tax credit that you received during 2021.  Enter the information from that letter carefully.   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

NOTE:   The CTC is indeed a “credit” that can be applied toward any tax liability that you would otherwise have to pay as “tax due”  to the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If it shows you are getting 3,000 credit on your return that is an ADDITIONAL 3,000 not the 3,000 you already got.   Turbo Tax started out giving you the full amount.  Then you enter what you already received so it subtracts it.  Check 1040 lines 19 and 28 and schedule 8812.

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

Its not showing an additional 3000, that would be correct. its showing that i now own in. its shows i got 3000 or the ACTC but nothing for the child tax credit. there should be the other the other half of the child tax credit for each child I understood the information that was provided on the IRS website. the advance was half of the child tax credit that each child would get divided out over 6 months.so when you file your taxes wouldyounot get theother half of that, which in my case would be the other half, an additional 3000... yes? its saying 0 on the CTC only 3000 on the ACTC

Most eligible families received about one-half of their tax credit through advance payments, and will claim the remaining half of their credit when they file this year's return.

First let me point out that the Refund-O-Meter is only correct once all your income and expenses have been entered and the program is fully operational. With each entry of income or expenses the meter will continue to vary as the program recalculates the return with each step you take.  If this annoys you then turn off the meter until the end.   

Next ... the program interview flow is  poorly designed  and it  will give you a false refund total early in the interview.   The program gives you 100% of the CTC and the third stimulus credit once you have completed the MY INFO tab early in the interview  and  then much   later in the deductions & Credits tab  you are asked how much of these credits you got in advance and then the credits are adjusted for the advance payments which will show as a reduced refund amount or an increase in the balance due.  

Same thing for the EIC … the program gives you the credit in the refund posted BEFORE  you get to the EIC portion of the interview.  At that point it asks you a couple of questions that could possibly REMOVE the credit already reflected in the refund posted  which is also a point of confusion for many. 

One day the programmers may  get this changed to more timely reflect the section you are working on as you work on it and not way in advance.  Users are not happy when they see the refund being reduced without a good explanation especially when the program says you can get $X as a credit and they see the refund either being reduced or not increased.

NOW ... did  you actually look at the return ?   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.... so is the rest of the credit showing up on that line?   Also review the 8812.  

How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing?

You can view your entire return or just your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return to preview your entire return, including all forms and worksheets (you may be asked to register or pay first).
    • View only your 1040 form by selecting Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu.

I don't think those answering understand the question. Turbo Tax software asks how much each person received when filing jointly so if you put $3000 (in my case I have 2 kids) it is calculated as $6000 received when we only received $3000. The issue is with the software when you are filing jointly. So do I put my husband received the $3000 and leave mine at $0 or say we both received $1500 to get the correct amount of $3000? It is a software issue.

Did you each get the IRS 6419 letters yet?

As answered above.....The IRS is sending out letter 6419 to you.  It will show the amount of advance child tax credit that you received during 2021.  Enter the information from that letter carefully.   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

I suggest you wait for the letter 6419. I did. I'm glad I did because it was half between my husband and I....750 & 750.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You should wait for your letters 6419 from the IRS.  They were in the mail yesterday.

If you are filing a married filing jointly tax return, you should enter the Advance Child Tax Credit payment amounts at the screen Tell us about any Advance Child Tax Credits.  Enter the amount for each spouse that is reported on the individual IRS Letter 6419.

In January 2022, the IRS will send you Letter 6419 to provide the total amount of Advance Child Tax Credit payments that were disbursed to you during 2021.  You and your spouse will each receive your own letter with the total you each received.

TurboTax software will generate the credit, deduct the advance payments and post a Child Tax Credit on line 28 of the Federal 1040.

You may view the entry under Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040.

TurboTax will compute the full amount of the Child Tax Credit if you:

• Enter a dependent in your tax return and
  • The dependent qualifies as a qualifying child.

See this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ccarr018

I want to make sure I’m understanding.

Turbotax is designed to award the full CTC at the beginning of filing. In my families case the entire 6600

we received have during the months following and we put the amount on the 6419 form into the requested tab. 
our projected refund plummeted 3kish and that is because TurboTax is subtracting the amount already given from the total credit?

so the number I’m receiving is accurate and I don’t have to go submit the 8812 separately?

Yes.  But  the 8812 will be filled out automatically.

Turbo Tax starts out giving you the full amount. So you might see a high refund. Then you enter what you already received so it subtracts it out. Check 1040 lines 19 and 28 and schedule 8812.

How to enter the Child Advance payments you got
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/family-tax-credits-and-deductions/help/how-do-i-enter-my-advance-c...

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies