moomin123

It says my Form 1040 has a zero value in Line 9 - Total income. However, I entered my foreign earned wages. What should I do?

Here is what I was told in the Review screen.

Not Eligible for Electronic Filing
It looks like you have a tax situation in your federal return that makes it ineligible for e-filing, according to IRS rules.

Here are the details:

All of the following lines of Form 1-4- have a zero value:
Line 9 - Total income
Line 11 - Adjusted gross income
Line 16 - Tax
Line 18 - Total Tax Before Credits AND Other Taxes
Line 21 - Total credits
Line 24 - Total tax
Line 33 - Total payments

DaveF1006

it sounds like that all you have is foreign income. If so, then it was excluded leaving you with no income to report. In this case you can mail your return in or you can add $10 taxable income to your return to see if you can electronically file.  Here is the best way to do this so you can electronically file your return.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the income with a brief explanation.
  7. I would report $10 income and you can say amount reported in order to efile. 
  8. Let me know if this works for you.

DaveF1006

2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start
  4. Other reportable income>start
  8. Let me know if this works for you.

rdepaula

Is this solution 100% safe and recommended?
I'm in the same situation as the OP because I worked abroad but would really prefer to e-file.  However, I'm not sure if there might be any repercussions for reporting a fictitious $10 miscellaneous income just to e-file, or if this is something the IRS is used to and doesn't care about?

DaveF1006

Yes. This is a common ploy used for years in order to be able to efile. I have prepared returns for social security recipients who had no taxable income but wanted to file so they be regarded as responsible citizens. in those days, i would put $1 interest income into their returns just so it can be efiled. In your instance, $10 is below your filing threshold for the year thus technically, you do not need to file. This is perfectly acceptable with the IRS.