Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold property in Pennsylvania but retained the mineral rights. Am I allowed the 15% depletion deduction on the Federal or must I own the land as well as the rights?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

I sold property in Pennsylvania but retained the mineral rights. Am I allowed the 15% depletion deduction on the Federal or must I own the land as well as the rights?

It appears that you can take the depletion deduction. This is what the IRS states:

Who Can Claim Depletion?

If you have an economic interest in mineral property or standing timber, you can take a deduction for depletion. More than one person can have an economic interest in the same mineral deposit or timber. In the case of leased property, the depletion deduction is divided between the lessor and the lessee.You have an economic interest if both the following apply.

• You have acquired by investment any interest in mineral deposits.

• You have a legal right to income from the extraction of the mineral to which you must look for a return of your capital investment.

A contractual relationship that allows you an economic or monetary advantage from products of the mineral deposit or standing timber is not, in itself, an economic interest. A production payment carved out of, or retained on the sale of, mineral property is not an economic interest.

The complete IRS publication (page 35):

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cindy0H

It appears that you can take the depletion deduction. This is what the IRS states:

Who Can Claim Depletion?

If you have an economic interest in mineral property or standing timber, you can take a deduction for depletion. More than one person can have an economic interest in the same mineral deposit or timber. In the case of leased property, the depletion deduction is divided between the lessor and the lessee.You have an economic interest if both the following apply.

• You have acquired by investment any interest in mineral deposits.

• You have a legal right to income from the extraction of the mineral to which you must look for a return of your capital investment.

A contractual relationship that allows you an economic or monetary advantage from products of the mineral deposit or standing timber is not, in itself, an economic interest. A production payment carved out of, or retained on the sale of, mineral property is not an economic interest.

The complete IRS publication (page 35):

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies