Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is there a new publication stating that if a non-custodial parent is behind in child support payments, they are not allowed to claim that child as a dependent?

Hmm...interesting.

Is there a new publication stating that if a non-custodial parent is behind in child support payments, they are not allowed to claim that child as a dependent?

If the child has to be claimed by January 31 how is that possible if w2s do not have to be sent out until the latest of january 31?

@Honestyrocks1024 wrote:

If the child has to be claimed by January 31 how is that possible if w2s do not have to be sent out until the latest of january 31?

There is no date specific for a child to be claimed as a dependent on a tax return.  The 2019 tax return can be filed at any time on or before April 15, 2020 if taxes are owed.  Or at any time within the next 3 years from the due date if filing for a tax refund.

Carl
Level 15

In researching Indiana, I

You're mixing apples and peanut butter here. The IRS could care less and is not bound by "any" lower authority ruling below that of a federal court. It "may" be applicable and enforceable on state taxes. But what any state may say, do, or decree does not apply to your federal return.  The IRS has their own rules on all this. That's the bottom line.

1st and foremost child support is not considered an income and most women that go after the ex make it their income, so  these days are literally spotted all over with hardships to the non custodial parent not only income wise but,  they have to worry as I do about the custodial parent not living up to decree so why have a place for non custodial parents to have terms with the other, we are just as well to give up our rights than to struggle trying to work, eat, be responsible (everything the custodial parent isn't) for they constantly take you back to court cause job losses and have you locked up for not being able to pay extortion money to a lazy woman that doesn't want to work to ease some of the problems the non custodial parent has to deal with and your child support divisions are all mostly divorced females that are against men having any rights to children so if I sound a little upset it's because when you have women that refuse to work and they think oh I will just take her or his dad back to court and get more money and the court backing the lazy woman then all dads need to just stop working and have the supposedly fair judges put us in jail for inability to pay for it doesn't even matter if you lost a job or had your back operated on and can't walk if the non custodial parent doesn't pay! Well they will pay one day at a time in jail now no one gets nothing do they. Just because a parent can't stick to the agreement they signed in court in front of God and all only to have the IRS say it's not income it sure the Hell not outcome. 

Jtodd2

I realize this is an old thread but to chime in….

You don’t think it’s your responsibility to make sure your kid has food?! Here’s the thing. If your child’s mother didn’t feed your kid, DCS would have a HUGE problem with it. I assume you would also have a problem with it. So, you are essentially saying “She has to take care and provide and if she doesn’t, she should go to jail for neglect. Me? Noooo, I shouldn’t have to make sure the person taking care of MY kid has money to put food on the table for my kid to eat, but she better figure out how to do it!”

I get $66 a week for child support. Do you know how far that $66 goes? Here’s a hint: not far. Do I care? Not particularly. I can afford to take care of my kids without it but why should I have to be the only one doing so, when I didn’t knock myself up? I’ve lost my job, I’ve been POOR and you know what? I figured out how to feed my kids without child support. Their dad has a nice house, a nice car and goes out with his girlfriend ALL the time…. But he can’t pay $66 a week on a consistent basis. 

So no, you don’t get a free pass because you lost your job or had back surgery. Your kids still need to eat. I also don’t believe for a second that she is living off just your child support…. Government assisted and child support? Maybe bug child support doesn’t even cover half of daycare. 

Bmilbee

@Jtodd2  YES 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies