Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

null306

Is Connecticut Car Registration fee deductible?

I see where car registration fees and taxes can be entered. But, CT is not listed as a state in which taxes can be deducted. Does this mean registration fees can be deducted?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SherryM

You would enter this in Deductions and Credits in the Federal Taxes section. If you don't see the option that says Car Registration Fees in the list of "Your tax breaks" (this comes from the boxes you selected when you first started), then you can click the blue link that says, "Check for tax breaks" and then, "Jump to Full List". You will see an option that says Cars and Other Things You Own. The Car Registration Fees will be there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SherryM

You would enter this in Deductions and Credits in the Federal Taxes section. If you don't see the option that says Car Registration Fees in the list of "Your tax breaks" (this comes from the boxes you selected when you first started), then you can click the blue link that says, "Check for tax breaks" and then, "Jump to Full List". You will see an option that says Cars and Other Things You Own. The Car Registration Fees will be there.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

null306

Is the registration fee a legitimate deduction since we live in CT?  I see where to enter, just not sure since our state is not on the list for deductible taxes.

CT = It was deductible for 2018, but not 2019?

@rayuconn26 wrote:

CT = It was deductible for 2018, but not 2019?

Connecticut is not one of the states where the registration fee is based on the the vehicle value so the fee is not deductible in 2019.  Nor was it deductible in 2018.

If you pay personal property taxes on the vehicle based on the value then those taxes would be deductible as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies