Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is conference speaker travel reimbursment taxable if the reimburser is not my employer?

I am a PhD student and work as a Teaching Assistant for a university in NY. Last year I was invited to present at a symposium. This symposium was held in TX, but was organized by a university in CA.  I paid for my travel expenses (symposium registration, plane tickets, uber, food and lodging) out of pocket, but the organizing university later reimbursed me.

All the reimbursment corresponded to actual expenditures and I provided the organizing university with copies of the receipts (I still have the originals). They didn't witheld any taxes nor generated a tax form for me.

So, my question is: should I consider this reimbursment as income and pay taxes for it? And in case the answer is yes, how should I report it provided that I didn't receive a tax form for it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Is conference speaker travel reimbursment taxable if the reimburser is not my employer?

No, this isn't income.  It's an expense reimbursement.  

If they had provided you with a tax form then you would report it and also report the expenses so that it was a net-zero transaction.  But since it has not been reported to the IRS all of that is unnecessary.  Just leave it off.

@robertlo87 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for this information!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies