Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fffreakx

Is anyone having an issue with Health Savings Account (HSAs). It seems it doesn't give the option of reporting qualified medical expenses.

Form 8889 (HSAs) is done automatically by Turbotax so I filled one out myself and got a totally different figure.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Is anyone having an issue with Health Savings Account (HSAs). It seems it doesn't give the option of reporting qualified medical expenses.

Did you receive a form 1099-SA? This is how qualified medical expenses are reported to you, and you enter this in TurboTax in the HSA interview.

What do you mean "you filled out a 8889 and got a totally different figure?" Because of the counter-intuitive terminology that the IRS uses for HSAs, it is highly unlikely that a non-tax professional is able to fill it out correctly by hand.

So tell us what lines were totally different on TurboTax's 8889 and your 8889 - line numbers and dollar amounts.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fffreakx

Greetings and thank you for the reply. We did input info from 1099SA.  Form 8889 part 2 (HSA distributions) line 15 is for qualified medical expenses. Pub 969, p 9 under insurance premiums number 2 states "Health care continuation coverage (such as coverage under COBRA. We paid $3208.00 (premium only) for 6 months and entered that on line 15. With a gross distribution of $5128., 0 rollover, and minus $3208. on line 15 equals $1920. 20% of that is $384 which we put on line 17b (form 8889). Thank you.

RaifH
Expert Alumni

What did TurboTax calculate differently? Was the Distribution Code 1 on Form 1099-SA?

To enter the information you have provided so far, you would enter Form 1099-SA as it appears. The following screen asks Did you spend your HSA money on medical expenses only? You would enter No, I didn't and then I spent part of it on medical expenses and enter $3,208. The remaining amount would be subject to the 20% penalty unless the HSA holder is over the age of 65, disabled, or passed away.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies