Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is a zoo membership tax deductible?

I bought 2 zoo memberships one in North Carolina one in Colorado. Is the full amount tax deductible? And do I just list as a charity?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Zoos typically add a bunch of "free" passes to the membership which is not tax-deductible but have value to them. If they did, you will have to call the zoo and they can determine the total amount of these free passes and give you the amount that is tax-deductible. In our area they can even email you a letter with that tax-deductible amount as proof.
CWirth
Intuit Alumni

Hello jennifer.greenac,

Memberships to zoos are considered tax deductible. But only the membership portion, no tangible property that may have been purchased or added to the cost of the membership is deductible.

You will list the deduction under contributions to charities on the Schedule A - Itemized Deductions.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax!

Have a wonderful day.

Is a membership to a non profit aquarium considered the same as a zoo and tax deductible?

I would have the same comment, you need to see your membership documents, or call their membership office...sometimes none is...sometimes a portion, sometimes all is. The membership office would know.  Too much may depend on how they are set-up and what services they provide for that membership.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

For NC zoo in Ashboro you have to call and ask how much:

"Is my membership tax-deductible?

A portion of all memberships are tax-deductible. Stop by the Membership booth or call the membership office at 336.879.7250 to find the tax-deductible amount of your specific membership."

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies