IRS is telling me I owe money for child and defend...

esmmcm

IRS is telling me I owe money for child and defendant care expenses. My information was entered correctly into TurboTax. Does anyone else have this issue?

*dependant ... they are saying they may have received information from a third-party. I don’t know who that would be?

TurboTax receives no information whatsoever from the IRS once a tax return has been accepted by the IRS.

There should be a phone number on the IRS notice you received.  Call the IRS for more information concerning this notice.  Also note that the IRS does make mistakes so this could be one of them but the only way to find out is to talk to an IRS agent.

esmmcm

Thanks for the reply! Our local IRS office is closed until January, and the number on the letter we received says they are not available to help taxpayers at this time. Too busy with other things. So unless there are other feedback, we will document this in writing and send it back to them.

esmmcm

The other question is whether there is an error in the TurboTax software that has since been corrected that anyone was aware of? No blame on TurboTax, just wanna make Sure we don’t pay a bill that we don’t actually owe.

@esmmcm wrote:

There has not been any reported problems with the 2019 Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses that is included in the TurboTax software.

Hal_Al

There is unlikely to be an error in the TT software. But it is likely that you made an entry error, that resulted in an erroneous  return. 

The IRS notice should have provided more detail on what the change(s) is. There is usually an attachment with details

For example, "IRS received information from a third-party" usually mean the IRS changed your reported/taxable income, which only incidentally changed the amount of the Dependent care credit (DCC) in addition to other changes.

For more info, see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/irs/help/i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs/00/27100

and

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/irs/help/how-do-i-respond-to-an-irs-notice-and-what-if-they-want-t...