turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irs is saying I am not eligible for child tax credit and I am. Something about an 8812 this company states it takes care of. Why am I not receiving payments?

I have 3 children single mom agi is less than 40,000.
How do I fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Irs is saying I am not eligible for child tax credit and I am. Something about an 8812 this company states it takes care of. Why am I not receiving payments?

without being able to see your return or what info you entered for the children we can't say why the IRS denied the credit. was a reason given? 

if all the children are qualified (under 17 on 12/31/2020, US citizen or resident alien, has a valid SSN for employment) you would have a tax liability that would be eliminated by the regular child tax credit.  then if your AGI is earned income (wages or self-employment income) you should have gotten an earned income credit which is refundable. there would also be the additional child tax credit which is also refundable. to get the additional CTC form 8812 must be included with your return.  

if you believe you qualify based on the above you should contact support because you can allow a Turbotax pro to actually see your return to determine what the issue may be 

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

800-446-8848

Through irs web site I am not eligible. But I am. I have 3 children under 15. Same house just me 40,000 a year. 

I have looked it up on line and keep coming up with the 8812. Turbo tax did my taxes. 

I tried calling number for turbo tax, it is saying they are not open till Monday through Friday 5am till 5pm. It's 8am eastern time my way. 

Problem is, I needed that money.  I guess I am panicking because it is needed so badly. I just want it fixed. 

Thank you for commenting. 

I can’t tell if you are complaining because you didn’t get the credit on your 2020 tax return, or you are complaining because you have not received the advance payments for the 2021 return.  If you are complaining about 2020, print a copy and make sure everything is correct, including form 8812.  

If you are complaining about 2021, there is really nothing you can do.  The IRS is so backlogged, it’s a minor miracle that anyone got an advance payment.  The IRS may have a web site later this summer where you can modify your status.  If not, you would get the full amount as part of your tax return.  

Should have been more in detail when referring to the tax. It's the child tax credit.  

Yes I know irs is backed up. I was a lucky person who claimed dependents and actually got my tax return swiftly.   All my stimulus came rather swiftly as well.  All of which were direct deposit.  

Being told I didn't have to do anything if my 2020 tax return was done, depending on thar extra tax money well just is what it is I guess. 

I will contact number the last gentleman sent and hopefully I can have it sorted out. 

Thank you for replying:)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies