turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HabeasX

My wife and I both had HSAs. I had family, she, SELF-ONLY. I input that in TT 2017 but when I look at her 8889 form, it shows FAMILY and puts $6,750 in box 3. WRONG!!

You're checking the wrong box on form 8889 for my spouse and making the rest of the form invalid.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I both had HSAs. I had family, she, SELF-ONLY. I input that in TT 2017 but when I look at her 8889 form, it shows FAMILY and puts $6,750 in box 3. WRONG!!

Instruction Form 8889.

"Complete lines 1 through 13 as instructed on the form. However, if you, and your spouse if filing jointly, are both eligible individuals and either of you has an HDHP with family coverage, you both are treated as having only the family coverage plan. Disregard any plans with self-only coverage."

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The tax law says if one spouse has family HDHP, the spouse with self only HDHP must indicate family also. TT makes the correct choice for your situation.

Instruction Form 8889.

"Complete lines 1 through 13 as instructed on the form. However, if you, and your spouse if filing jointly, are both eligible individuals and either of you has an HDHP with family coverage, you both are treated as having only the family coverage plan. Disregard any plans with self-only coverage."

Instructions link. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8889.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8889.pdf</a>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies