turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file if living abroad

I'm a US citizen (legally a resident in MA) but living abroad since October 2015. I don't know which address to put MA or abroad (as my income is from abroad) but I also tend to move within the country every year or so. Previously when I used turbo tax last year in this scenario it gave me errors when it came to address and income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

In terms of your address... you can choose which one... the address is entered for potential correspondence between you and the IRS and is not used to established the residency status or your income exclusion. 

As to the income, you must report your income as foreign income in the foreign income section; this will indicate that you did leave abroad and based on your time spend, income may be excluded from tax.

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Select Wages and Income 
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Foreign Income and Exclusion - Answer “Yes” to “Did you make any money outside the United States?” and follow the interview questions. You will be asked to enter income from a U.S company, a foreign company, self-employment income, housing allowance, income from a Form W-2, 1099-MISC, schedule K-1 from a business or simply cash income - check the box A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

In terms of your address... you can choose which one... the address is entered for potential correspondence between you and the IRS and is not used to established the residency status or your income exclusion. 

As to the income, you must report your income as foreign income in the foreign income section; this will indicate that you did leave abroad and based on your time spend, income may be excluded from tax.

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Select Wages and Income 
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Foreign Income and Exclusion - Answer “Yes” to “Did you make any money outside the United States?” and follow the interview questions. You will be asked to enter income from a U.S company, a foreign company, self-employment income, housing allowance, income from a Form W-2, 1099-MISC, schedule K-1 from a business or simply cash income - check the box A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash).
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies