turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dbzhugs

Is there a limit for the child tax credit??? I have 3 children and just noticed my third is not checked in the box for under 17 qualifying for child tax credit...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dbzhugs

Is there a limit for the child tax credit??? I have 3 children and just noticed my third is not checked in the box for under 17 qualifying for child tax credit...

My children are 5, 6, and 10

The child tax credit can only reduce your tax liability down to zero.  It is not a refund.  If you have no tax due, then you may not receive the full amount of the $1000 Child Tax Credit

If your child turned 17 at any time during 2016, then you will not receive the child tax credit.

If you are claiming the Child Tax Credit for a child who was born in 2016, make sure you said in Personal Info that the child lived with you all year and that you entered the child’s SSN.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dbzhugs

Thank you for your help... I will have to double check that... I think it may be the first one... I got $2000 off for the child tax credit... Maybe that was the max i could get so my daughter wasn't added... She is still down as a dependent...

If your child turned 17 in 2016, even on the last day of 2016, you do not get the child tax credit.  There are no exceptions to the rule.  You can still claim your child as a dependent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dbzhugs

None of my children are 17
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies