Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I calculate interest paid on a leased vehicle that I use for my business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How do I calculate interest paid on a leased vehicle that I use for my business?

If you lease a car (instead of having a loan on the car), there is no interest part in the lease amounts that you pay.

If you use the car exclusively for business, you can deduct the full lease payments as a business expense.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If you lease a car (instead of having a loan on the car), there is no interest part in the lease amounts that you pay.

If you use the car exclusively for business, you can deduct the full lease payments as a business expense.

I read that interest is included in the lease payments.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

There is an interest component which is used by the leasing companies for the pricing of leases. That interest component is not disclosed to the client. For tax purposes, you can be deduct the business portion of the lease payments as a business expense.
spamdavy

The interest component of a lease is the money factor multiplied by 2400. Money factor can be found on the lease agreement.

With this knowledge, can I deduct the interest paid on 2018 on my next tax return?

No, as it is already included n the lease payment
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies