Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vandetta1138
Returning Member

Do I need to to have receipts to prove gambling losses? I have 4700 of winnings tat are being taxed how do I report losses to counterbalance what I owe?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Do I need to to have receipts to prove gambling losses? I have 4700 of winnings tat are being taxed how do I report losses to counterbalance what I owe?

If you are going to deduct gambling losses, you must have receipts, tickets, statements and documentation such as a diary or similar record of your losses and winnings.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/five-important-tips-on-gambling-income-and-losses-1

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes and no. You do not need receipts at the time you file your  tax return. You will only need them if you are audited by the IRS.

You may only deduct your actual losses, up to $4700 (not more than your winnings) and you may only deduct the losses on schedule A (itemized deductions)/ That is, you must report the full $4700 as income. You may not reduce that amount by losses. The losses go in a separate place on your tax return. If you do not usually itemized deductions (you usually use the standard deduction), you may not see any benefit from deducting losses.

Some states do not permit losses to be deducted on the State return, but still tax winnings.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies