Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

preemie69

Does my child have to file a tax return?

My 15 year old daughter made approximately $1200 last year at her part-time job.  According to what I have read, she does not need to file.  Can anyone confirm this is correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the dependent is a child under the age of 19 or a full time student under the age of 24 and has income from wages reported on a W-2 and the income reported is under $6,300, they do not have to file a federal tax return.

They can file if under the $6,300 amount to get a refund of the federal taxes withheld.  If they do file for either the refund or if the wages were greater then $6,300, make sure that they indicate on their tax returns that they can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  Also, note that if the income was from self employment, reported on a form 1099-MISC or cash, and the amount is $400 or more they are required to file a return for the income received.

Your state may have other reporting requirements for a dependents income and may be less then the federal requirements, so check with your state tax department website for more information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the dependent is a child under the age of 19 or a full time student under the age of 24 and has income from wages reported on a W-2 and the income reported is under $6,300, they do not have to file a federal tax return.

They can file if under the $6,300 amount to get a refund of the federal taxes withheld.  If they do file for either the refund or if the wages were greater then $6,300, make sure that they indicate on their tax returns that they can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  Also, note that if the income was from self employment, reported on a form 1099-MISC or cash, and the amount is $400 or more they are required to file a return for the income received.

Your state may have other reporting requirements for a dependents income and may be less then the federal requirements, so check with your state tax department website for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies