Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JO4

Are condo fees, moving & storage expenses, and utility payments deductible on a 1041 form? If so, where are these entered?

I became a cotrustee/beneficiary of my mother’s trust following her passing in 2015. I’m completing the trust’s tax returns for 2016. Are any of the following expenses deductible on the 1041 Form?
- Condominium association fees paid prior to the sale of my mother’s home
- Payments for utilities prior to sale of the condo
- Property taxes
- Moving expenses incurred after the condo’s sale.
- Storage expenses incurred after the condo’s sale
-Funeral expenses

If so, where should they be reported on the 1041 form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are condo fees, moving & storage expenses, and utility payments deductible on a 1041 form? If so, where are these entered?

"If so, where are these entered?"

You can deduct property taxes in Federal Taxes>>Deductions>>Taxes.

Funeral expenses are not deductible on Form 1041; they are deductible only on Form 706.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140376225780656

With respect to the other expenses, they would only be deductible, if at all, as administration expenses incurred for the management, conservation, or maintenance of estate/trust property and would be subject to the 2% floor. Any such deductions would be entered under Federal Taxes>>Deductions>>Other itemized deductions. 

Please note that to the extent there is any personal use of the property, the other items would not be deductible and that, regardless, expenses that would not be deductible on a personal income tax return do not necessarily become deductible merely because the expenses are incurred by an estate or trust.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"If so, where are these entered?"

You can deduct property taxes in Federal Taxes>>Deductions>>Taxes.

Funeral expenses are not deductible on Form 1041; they are deductible only on Form 706.

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140376225780656

With respect to the other expenses, they would only be deductible, if at all, as administration expenses incurred for the management, conservation, or maintenance of estate/trust property and would be subject to the 2% floor. Any such deductions would be entered under Federal Taxes>>Deductions>>Other itemized deductions. 

Please note that to the extent there is any personal use of the property, the other items would not be deductible and that, regardless, expenses that would not be deductible on a personal income tax return do not necessarily become deductible merely because the expenses are incurred by an estate or trust.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies