Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my wages earned abroad are exempt from taxation in the US due to an intl treaty for the avoidance of double taxation, can I file 1116 or declare the foreign income?

My concern is not losing the child credit that I will get if I declare the foreign earned income, which is not a lot
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If my wages earned abroad are exempt from taxation in the US due to an intl treaty for the avoidance of double taxation, can I file 1116 or declare the foreign income?

This is a case of  "you cannot have your cake and eat it too" and if you go the exclusion route by making the election then you cannot just change back to the tax credit at will ... if you revoke the exclusion then you cannot make it again for a 5 year period so think on it carefully.

Thank you! My intention is not changing the way of filling, which is form 1116 so far. I just want to be sure that I am not falsely taking the tax credit. Am I obliged to take the exemption from US taxation of my foreign wages that the international treaty mentions? I prefer not. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies