Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my claimed dependent donated money to church organizations, can I claim those on my tax return?

My dependent donated monies to a church and received notices for those donations, do I claim these on my tax return since I am claiming her?  If so, any details on how?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
georgesT

If my claimed dependent donated money to church organizations, can I claim those on my tax return?

The IRS only allows you to deduct charitable contributions that you personally funded, whether the contribution was made in your name or in someone else's. 

If your child or dependent makes a donation to a charity, you are not allowed to claim it as a tax deduction. This is true even if your dependent does not claim the contribution on his own tax return because he opts for the standard deduction rather than itemizing or claims exemption.

See the link below for additional information.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/charitable-contribution-deduction...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
georgesT

The IRS only allows you to deduct charitable contributions that you personally funded, whether the contribution was made in your name or in someone else's. 

If your child or dependent makes a donation to a charity, you are not allowed to claim it as a tax deduction. This is true even if your dependent does not claim the contribution on his own tax return because he opts for the standard deduction rather than itemizing or claims exemption.

See the link below for additional information.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/charitable-contribution-deduction...

What if your child is in college and 100% of her funding is thru me, the parent. She does not work, nor file taxes, but she donated money through her credit card or debit account. The money is actually mine that I give to her to live on at college? Thanks

If you "gave" money to your daughter then it was her money to use the way she wanted to use the money.   You did not donate to a charity---she did.   You cannot claim your daughter's donation as your own.

And.....unless a person has enough itemized deductions to exceed their standard deduction, donations have no effect on the tax due or tax refund.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies