turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If moving to retire we can deduct moving expenses. But dialog in turbo Tax does not seem to allow for this circumstance in Moving Expenses section? How do I enter this?

The IRS instructions indicate moving expenses are deductible if the move is related to retirement, but dialog in turbotax does not screen for this. How can I enter the data?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If moving to retire we can deduct moving expenses. But dialog in turbo Tax does not seem to allow for this circumstance in Moving Expenses section? How do I enter this?

You can take moving expenses only if this applies:

Retirees or survivors.   You may be able to deduct the expenses of moving to the United States or its possessions even though the move isn't related to the start of work at a new job location. You must have worked outside the United States or be a survivor of someone who did. See , later. Retirees or Survivors Who Move to the United States

See this, from the IRS, particularly under Nondeductible Expenses. 

To enter into Turbo Tax if you qualify:

1. Go to Deductions & Credits. 

2. Select I'll choose what I work on

3. Go down to Other Deductions & Credits

4. Select Start or Update by Moving Expenses

5. As you go through the screens, answer Yes to Retiree or Surviving Spouse?

Turbo Tax lets you take the expenses that way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

But even when I select the retiree option, the deduction is not applied.

This is an old thread.  Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal return for anyone except certain active duty members of the military. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies