Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I pay $900 a month for for a prescription and a $60 copay every two weeks for the doctor can I claim all that on my return?

My medical expenses are roughly 10-15% of my yearly income. Is that enough to claim and how much of that would I get back?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I pay $900 a month for for a prescription and a $60 copay every two weeks for the doctor can I claim all that on my return?

Health care insurance premiums, including dental and vision insurance premiums, and other medical expenses that you paid with out of pocket funds and were not reimbursed are an eligible medical expense that you can deduct using Schedule A for itemized deductions. However, only your total medical expenses that are greater than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) can be deducted. Your total itemized deductions reported on Form 1040 Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2022

Single - $12,950 add $1,750 if age 65 or older
Married Filing Separately - $12,950 add $1,400 if age 65 or older
Married Filing Jointly - $25,900 add $1,400 for each spouse age 65 or older
Head of Household - $19,400 add $1,750 if age 65 or older

roughly estimating based on what you provided your adjusted gross income (AGI) is around $100,000. your approximate medical expenses of about $12500 would be reduced by $7500 (7.5 of  AGI) leaving $5000 as a deduction. if single, you would need about another $8000 in itemized deductions to benefit  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies