jodimarie

If I itemize federal deductions, do I need to itemize state deductions also?

Bought a home in NJ last year and I work in NY. I adjusted federal W4 and plan to itemize, but my NY State paperwork for adjusting my withholdings is asking if I plan to itemize. Do I have to? Do I need to? I'm assuming that all the mortgage interest/property taxes get credited on my NJ return. Can someone please advise??? Thank you!

AnnaB

New Jersey only allows certain deductions from income and does not have a true itemized deduction.  They do allow a deduction for property taxes, but not for mortgage interest.

In regards to New York, you can take the standard deduction even if you itemize on your Federal return.

You would use whichever one is more beneficial.  If you aren't sure, I would not say that you plan to itemize.  This will prevent them from not withholding enough taxes.

AnnaB

jodimarie

Thank you!