dillydoug

If I filled out the 8862 form for the child tax credit, why didn’t it adjust my refund?

The IRS is sending out letter 6419 to you.  It will show the amount of advance child tax credit that you received during 2021.  Enter the information from that letter carefully.   The remaining amount of CTC that you can receive will show up on line 28 of your 2021 Form 1040.

Oh....and 8862 is not the form for the child tax credit.   8862 is the form for earned income credit.   If you are getting earned income credit it shows up on line 27a of your Form 1040.

The form for the child tax credit is 8812   and the CTC shows up on line 28.

Just setting the record straight since there is already enough confusion about the child-related credits.

dillydoug

How do I fill out the 8812 form? My irs letter says to fill out the 8812 but when I got to the child tax part of turbo tax it only says 8862?

The child tax credit is in Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child Tax Credit

dillydoug

Yes I see that but there is no where to input the 8812? It’s only giving me an option of 8862.

Did you enter your child as a dependent in My Info?   Did you enter the child's Social Security number?

Go though all the screens in You and Your Family.    Just answer the questions about the advance child tax credit payments you received.  You do not have direct access to the forms with the online software.  After you have answered the questions then look at your Form 1040.

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing