If I file for standard deduction, can I deduct ali...

watchcat

If I file for standard deduction, can I deduct alimony if my divorce was on 07/25/2005?

To enter alimony paid -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  • On Alimony Paid, click the start or update button

Or enter alimony paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to alimony paid

Alimonies for divorces and separations finalized after 2018 are no longer taxable or deductible.

Bsch4477

Yes, you can. Alimony is an adjustment to income and not an itemized deduction. Alimony prior to divorce in 2019 is still deductible. 

Hal_Al

Yes.  The alimony deduction is an adjustment to income, which is an "above the line" deduction.  You are allowed the alimony deduction, regardless of whether you  claim the standard deduction or itemized deductions.  That is, the alimony deduction is in addition to either the standard deduction or itemized deductions, not part of them. 

That did not change with the 2018 tax law.

For divorce is that occurred before January 1, 2019, alimony is still deductible by the payer and taxable income to the receiver. For divorces that occurred after December 31, 2018, alimony is not deductible or taxable. If you have a pre-2019 divorce that is modified after January 1, 2019, the parties have the option of keeping the alimony deductible and taxable, or of changing to the new rule.