Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgalvin26

If I claimed my adult daughter as a dependent and she received premium tax credits for health insurance during 2018 do I have to pay that back?

Due to my adult daughter's health she is unable to work and lives with me. I provide all of her living expenses. She has no income. When I filed my 2018 taxes I claimed her as a dependent. However, during 2018 she received a premium tax credit to pay for her health insurance coverage. Will I have to pay that back? How can I compare if it would have been better to not claim her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I claimed my adult daughter as a dependent and she received premium tax credits for health insurance during 2018 do I have to pay that back?

you report the 1095-a info on your return.  whether you have to pay back the credits will depend on household income which in your case is yours since you say she has none.  form 8962

did you have minimum essential coverage during 2018 because, there will be a penalty if you are not covered 

the issue for not claiming her is that without any income she should not be covered by the marketplace but by your state's medicaid.  

for 2018, since she received ptc she would have to file her own return.  

your filing status claiming her would be head of household 

without her single.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies